Skip to content

Academic Planning

Requirements  Registration  Academic Opportunities  Non-Affiliated Programs

Study Abroad and Your POE/Graduation Requirements

Talk to your advisors about which courses you are required to take at Juniata College both before and after you study abroad.
Junior year is the most popular and convenient year to study abroad.

Visit the International Course Database page (Academic Information/International Course Database) to find courses that have been approved and transferred for credit previously at Juniata.

Fulfilling General Education Requirements

International Requirement

One upper-level "I" requirement is waived for a semester abroad, while both upper-level "I" requirements are waived for a full year abroad.

IC/CA requirements

  • The Interdisciplinary Colloquium (IC) and Cultural Analysis requirements will be waived for students who successfully complete a world language course beyond the 210 level in the target language and a semester or more of study abroad in the target language and culture.
  • For successfully completed classes between 210 and 230, support from the World Language and Culture Department will be required before the IC/CA waiver will be given.
  • If 230 level is not taken before the semester abroad, classes taken in the target language at the study abroad site will be taken into consideration.
  • Submit the CA designation for International Courses form to the Provost if you plan to take a course for CA credit that has not been pre-approved.

Eligibility Requirements & Applying to Study Abroad

In order to maintain eligibility for study abroad, students must:
  • Submit all application materials to the Center for International Education (CIE) by the deadlines 
  • Attend all pre-departure orientation sessions
  • Maintain the minimum required GPA (2.7 or, for some programs, 3.0) through the final semester before study abroad

Leave of Absence

Students who may be on a leave of absence the semester / year prior to study abroad for a semester or year program, will need to submit a petition to be reviewed by the Center for International Education, the Dean of Students and their academic advisors.  The review of the petition will determine whether a student will retain eligibility for study abroad in the semester immediately following a semester during which the student was on a leave of absence.  Each case will be reviewed individually and a recommendation may be made for the student to defer participation on a study abroad program to a future semester / year.  The petition should address a student’s readiness and academic plan for study abroad and why a deferment of study abroad to another semester may not be possible.    

Notices of concern and incident reports during the semester preceding study abroad will prompt review of your application and may affect your eligibility to study abroad


Registration for Study Abroad at Juniata 

You must have an official POE on file with the Registrar's Office prior to leaving.

You must know your program's specific registration code in order to complete registration on WebAdvisor. You will find the class that you will use to register in WebAdvisor on the program page in the box labeled Registration Code. If you plan to be abroad for a full academic year, you must enter the appropriate code for both semesters during your WebAdvisor registration

Enrollment in Courses at the Study Abroad Site

Students must follow all academic policies set forth by Juniata while abroad. Please see:
The mininum number of credits a student should take abroad is 12 credits per semester. The maximum number of credits is 18 credits per semester. Credits beyond 18 are considered an overload. Students must contact the Dean of International Education if they plan to take more than 18 credits while abroad. Credit and grading equivalencies can be found in the information section of each program page. It is very important to know how many credits are counted at Juniata for the courses that you are enrolled in while abroad. Visit the International Course Database to find courses that have been approved and transferred for credit previously at Juniata. Look at the current course catalog provided by your abroad college or university; links can be found in the information section of each program page.


After a student has completed a program abroad, an official transcript is sent to the Center for International Education.  Institutional calendars vary widely, so the end of the semester and the release of transcripts may not follow the Juniata academic calendar.  Please note there may be some delay in receiving a transcript abroad based on calendars and processes at institutions abroad. 

The Dean of International Education may consult with academic departments to determine the designations for transfer of courses from abroad in the cases when a course is not already in the International Course Database.Save all syllabi and coursework from courses you took abroad.

A transmittal document will show all courses and grades - including failing grades - as they appear on the original transcript from the institution abroad.  Failing grades cannot be omitted from the transmittal document if they appear on the original transcript from abroad. 

The Center for International Education cannot intervene in the case when students may have a grievance about a grade received for a  course abroad.   

The original transcripts and the transmittal document prepared by the Dean of International Education are sent to the Registrar's Office for processing.  Before the transfer of courses is submitted to the Registrar's office, Juniata requires completion of an end of program survey/assessment.  The student will receive an email reminder and link to the survey. 

While you are at your host institution, arrange for an additional copy of the original transcript to be sent to you. You may need this for graduate school. The Registrar's Office will not send out copies of a transcript from another school. Ordering a transcript after you leave may be very expensive and they may not arrive in time for your graduate school application.


Internships Abroad

Several of the study abroad programs are specifically designed for internship experiences.  Students are required to work through Juniata Career Services office for credit internships and non-credit, transcript notation internships.  Links can be found under each program at the Juniata study abroad program listing page.   

Complete information can be found here:

  Discuss your plans with your academic advisors. Identify a faculty sponsor for your internship. This is usually your academic advisor, the internship coordinator for your POE department, or a faculty member with expertise in the area of your internship. 

If you enroll in an internship program abroad, specific procedures must be followed to ensure the credits will transfer to Juniata. Please discuss this document with your advisors Internships Abroad procedure

Study a World Language 

Research shows that studying a world language can support academic achievement, provide cognitive benefits, and affect attitudes and beliefs about language learning and about other cultures. (   Human interactions today are highly globalized.  Reports indicate that second language proficiency leads to better employability.  ( )

26 of the 44 Juniata’s study abroad programs are programs in which the primary instruction is not English and/or world language study is a component of the program.  You can take courses in all areas of study in another language while on Juniata study abroad.  And at many of the sites, you can undertake internship and volunteer experiences in another language and develop your language skills and your intercultural communication skills.    

Non-Affiliated/Non-Juniata Programs

Students who wish to study abroad on a non-affiliated program must complete and submit a Leave of Absence notification to the Dean of Students. The student is responsible for getting pre-approval for courses taken abroad in a non-affiliated program. The Study Abroad Leave of Absence Form provides for this process. 

Students are responsible for submitting the Non-Juniata Study Leave of Absence form to the CIE and the Registrar's office before departure, and for obtaining their transcripts from the program. The Study Abroad Leave of Absence form must be submitted to the Registrar's Office no later than NOVEMBER 1 for spring and APRIL 1 for fall.
On their applications to non-Juniata programs, students must choose the "US School of Record" option for their transcripts. 

Fifteen credits is the maximum number that can be transferred in from a Non-Juniata Program with only 8 allowed for the POE and only credits with a C- or above are accepted for transfer. 

No institutional financial aid will apply during the Leave of Absence period. (The institutional aid may be reinstituted when the student re-enrolls at Juniata.

Senior year spring term is not recommended and must be petitioned to Student Academic Development (SAD).