Skip to content


Costs and Financial Aid  Eligibility  Application Procedures and Deadlines  Withdrawals and Extensions
Refunds  Non-Affiliated/Non-Juniata Programs  Insurance Requirement Petition of Exception 
Academic Credit, Transcripts and Internships Limited Enrollment Surcharge

Costs and Financial Aid

Each Juniata student may include study abroad at a Juniata-affiliated site as part of the academic plan for up to one year (two semesters). Students who wish to study abroad while enrolled at Juniata will pay Juniata tuition for the semester or year in which they are enrolled. Some programs also require the payment of Juniata room and board. In most cases, Juniata financial aid applies to help cover the cost of participating in a study abroad program. Students should consult the Office of Financial Aid to determine their financial aid applicability, and also whether additional loans can be obtained to apply for any additional costs such airline tickets, or significant inequity in monetary exchange. Special Study Abroad scholarships are also available. Tuition benefits that apply at Juniata to dependent students of employees of other institutions and PAR students cannot be utilized for study abroad. In all cases, students are responsible for the cost of procuring a passport, a visa, any immunizations required, airfare, and any miscellaneous expenses specific to the country site (for example, registration at police headquarters in the UK, or special health insurance in Germany). Students who wish to study abroad more than two semesters must complete and submit a Leave of Absence form to the Dean of Students Office and handle all finances on their own. 

Limited Enrollment Surcharge

Juniata encourages study abroad for all students.  There are some program sites abroad which are designated as Limited Enrollment (LE).  The LE designation indicates that a program has limited spaces for enrollment because of either increased institutional costs and/or competitive placement, i.e. higher requirements for placement.  The program sites to be designated as limited enrollment will be determined on a year-to year-basis by the Dean of International Education.  The number of placements available at each site will also be determined on a year-to year-basis by the Dean of International Education.   Not all applicants who apply may be offered placement at a study abroad site designated as limited enrollment.  LE programs usually have higher minimum GPA and other requirements such as additional application requirements in the case of internship placements.  The International Education Committee will review the applicants for limited enrollment placement separately from the non-LE sites in December each year.  

A student may apply for two sites that are designated limited enrollment within an academic year, but if placed at both sites the student will be required to pay a surcharge of $5,000 - $10,000 as determined by the Dean of International Education and based on budgetary impact.  The student will be apprised of the surcharge at the time of notification for placement on study abroad.  


Students are not permitted to study abroad in their first year at Juniata. Students must be 18 years of age or older to participate in a Study Abroad Program, regardless of parental consent. 

Seniors who wish to study abroad during their final semester at Juniata must defer graduation. For example, students studying abroad during the spring of their senior year would graduate in August and would be considered walkers in the May ceremony.  After consultation with their advisors, seniors wishing to study abroad during the final semester of their senior year must visit the Registrar’s office to change their degree date, review POE forms, and confirm that their general education requirements have or will be met. 

To be eligible to apply to study abroad while at Juniata, students must meet the following requirements:

good academic standing, with a GPA of at least 2.7 or the minimum GPA as determined for the program, whichever is higher (some programs have a minimum 3.0 GPA)
clearance from Accounting Office*
clearance from Dean of Students Office
signed form stating that student has medical insurance valid overseas
signed “Statement of Understanding” and “Release Form”
additional eligibility criteria may apply; program determines additional eligibility requirements. 

*Outstanding student accounts must be settled with the Accounting Office by the preceding Nov. 15 for spring study abroad, and by March 15 for fall.

In order to maintain eligibility for study abroad, students must:
-submit all application materials to the Center for International Education (CIE) by the deadlines 
-attend all pre-departure orientation sessions
-maintain the minimum required GPA (2.7 or, for some programs, 3.0) through the final semester before study abroad

Students who may be on a leave of absence the semester / year prior to study abroad for a semester or year program, will need to submit a petition to be reviewed by the Center for International Education, the Dean of Students and their academic advisors.  The review of the petition will determine whether a student will retain eligibility for study abroad in the semester immediately following a semester during which the student was on a leave of absence.  Each case will be reviewed individually and a recommendation may be made for the student to defer participation on a study abroad program to a future semester / year.  The petition should address a student’s readiness and academic plan for study abroad and why a deferment of study abroad to another semester may not be possible.    

Notices of concern and incident reports during the semester preceding study abroad will prompt review of your application and may affect your eligibility to study abroad

Application Process and Deadlines

Except for Juniata direct exchange programs, students must submit 2 complete applications, one to Juniata, and one to the host institution or provider. While the CIE will facilitate the second application, students are ultimately responsible for ensuring that all application materials and documents are submitted to the host institution or provider. In all cases, students must receive approval both from Juniata and from the host institution or provider. Students are not guaranteed their first program choice, especially in programs designated LE (Limited Enrollment). LE program assignments will be made by the Dean of the CIE in consultation with the Director of Education Abroad and, in some cases, with the International Education Committee. Preference will be given to POE applicability. For semester and year-long programs, students must submit, in the academic year preceding study abroad by December 4 the online application, recommendation forms, and an essay. Summer program applications are due February 15. Other short-term programs have separately-determined application deadlines.

Non-Affiliated/Non-Juniata Programs

Students who wish to study abroad on a non-affiliated program must complete and submit a Leave of Absence notification to the Dean of Students. The student is responsible for getting pre-approval for courses taken abroad in a non-affiliated program. The Study Abroad Leave of Absence Form provides for this process. 

Students are responsible for submitting the LeaveOfAbsenceForm-2011.doc to the CIE and the Registrar's office before departure, and for obtaining their transcripts from the program. The Study Abroad Leave of Absence form must be submitted to the Registrar's Office no later than NOVEMBER 1 for spring and APRIL 1 for fall.
On their applications to non-Juniata programs, students must choose the "US School of Record" option for their transcripts. 

Fifteen credits is the maximum number that can be transferred in from a Non-Juniata Program with only 8 allowed for the POE and only credits with a C- or above are accepted for transfer. 

No institutional financial aid will apply during the Leave of Absence period. (The institutional aid may be reinstituted when the student re-enrolls at Juniata.

Senior year spring term is not recommended and must be petitioned to Student Academic Development (SAD).

Withdrawals and Extensions

If, for any reason, a student chooses to withdraw from a program, a statement in writing (an email from that student’s account is permissible) must be submitted to the international office. Verbal statements of withdrawal will not be considered as notification of withdrawal; therefore, the student will still be considered a program participant until written notification is received. Withdrawal is not considered final until the student receives written confirmation from the CIE. Students who are studying abroad for one semester who wish to extend to a full year must petition the Dean of the CIE, and include a letter of support from their academic advisors.


If a student withdraws from the exchange program prior to the completion of a year, refunds for tuition, room and board, etc. will be based on the Juniata calendar, rather than the calendar of the host institution. Any direct costs to Juniata will be deducted from the refund. 
Should circumstances force a fully-paid student to withdraw from a BCA program prior to departure from the United States, a full refund, except for the application fee, the confirmation fee, and any non-refundable housing costs incurred, will be made. Should a student withdraw from a BCA program after the program begins, the following refund schedule will apply:

Week 1: 80% 
Week 2: 60% 
Week 3: 40%
Week 4: 20% 
No refund after week 4

Any refunds made will be minus in-country costs that might include pre-paid housing, non-refundable registration costs at the university, orientation and administrative expenses. Should a full-year student decide to withdraw following the first semester and give a reasonable advance notice, the one-semester fee plus an administrative fee of $250 will be charged. Whenever a student wants to withdraw from a program for any reason, he/she is strongly urged to confer as soon as possible with the Center for International Education to discuss any financial ramifications of the decision. Summer Program fees include tuition, room and board. Transportation is billed separately. Additional personal expenses vary from student to student.

Petition of Exception

Unless otherwise noted, exceptions to any of the policies must be requested in writing and emailed to the Dean of International Education, with supporting letters from both student advisors. Petitions will be denied if you fail to provide two letters from two advisors. If you are applying after the deadline, would like to change your program from a semester to a yearlong program, or have a GPA that is lower than required, you will need to fill out a petition-of-exception-2016.docx. Petitions of Exception will not be considered after March 1 for fall/year programs and after October 15 for spring programs.

Academic Credit, Transcripts and Internships

Students will develop a course schedule in consultation with their academic advisors. Students may apply courses taken abroad to fulfill FISHN requirements. Course conversion for credits already evaluated can be viewed on the International Database. For new courses, please keep all course information to be evaluated by the CIE upon your return; the Dean will work with the department chairs to create a transmittal form. Students who wish to apply courses abroad to their POE must receive departmental permission before they leave campus. A student may only register for an independent study while abroad if a faculty member at the host institution agrees to oversee the project, or if the student registers for the course and completes the project during the semester following study abroad.

Students must follow all academic policies set forth by Juniata while abroad. The minimum number of credits a student should take abroad is 12 per semester and the maximum is 18 per semester. Anything above 18 credits per semester is considered an overload. If a student plans on bringing back more than 18 credits from study abroad, they must petition the Student Academic Development Committee.

After the student has completed the program, an official transcript is sent by mail to the CIE from programs abroad. The transcript is processed as soon as possible upon receipt in the CIE. The Dean of International Education prepares a transmittal form, noting the course designations, and translating the grades according to the particular conversion in each program. The transmittal form and original transcript is sent to the Registrar for processing. A copy of the initial transmittal form is also sent by email to the student to determine any mistake or immediate conflict. Because institutional calendars vary so widely, the student is made aware that the transcript may not be received until well into the summer in some cases. Temporary credit notations can be made in some cases to accommodate special graduate school application issues.

Internships abroad that are not associated with a specific class and which are to be notated as a credit internship at Juniata are permitted only through enrollment in the EPA Internships in Europe program. Students are required to work through Juniata Career Services office for credit internships and non-credit, transcript notation internships. Discuss your plans with your academic advisors. Identify a faculty sponsor for your internship. This is usually your academic advisor, the internship coordinator for your POE department, or a faculty member with expertise in the area of your internship. Read more about the process for approval and registration for Credit Internships through EPA Internship in Europe program.

Insurance Requirement

All students on a Juniata College approved study abroad program will be automatically enrolled in a Cultural Insurance Services Internation (CISI) insurance plan. This is a plan specific to Juniata students and covers a variety of issues such as medical treatment, emergency evacuation, travel delay, and more. Full details of the plan can be found here. The cost of the plan is $38.25 per month and will be automatically billed to the student as part of the fees for students abroad.

If a student does not want to be enrolled in the CISI plan, they must sign a waiver stating they are refusing the insurance and also provide proof of alternative insurance. All students are required to maintain insurance that covers them while they are abroad. There are dozens of other insurance companies, so it is recommended that students consult with the Director of Study Abroad if they are considering purchasing another insurance plan.